Kimberly's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

May 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2012

An asteroid knocks the moon closer to the earth (according to the cover photo, much closer). This causes the tides to wipe out coastal cites, and ash from erupting volcanoes grays out the sky, killing crops and lowering the temperature around the globe. Miranda and her family live in a remote town in Pennsylvania, trying to survive this new life.

Some reviews described this book as boring, but I found it fascinating. I'm not sure what the other readers were expecting? A Michael Bay movie? I thought the events in this book were pretty realistic to what many people would be experiencing. My one complaint was the diary-style writing (often my complaint with this type of narrative)--does anyone write in his/her diary like this?

While the moon event is something that would never happen, I did appreciate the "what if" scenarios provided by the rest of the book. If there were some sort of disaster, how would I live without electricity? Where would I get water? How long would my food storage last? Would I survive West Nile or the flu? There is only one answer: I would die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

Quotes Kimberly Liked

Susan Beth Pfeffer
“I guess I always felt even if the world came to an end, McDonald's would still be open.”
Susan Beth Pfeffer, Life As We Knew It