K. D.'s Reviews > Holidays in Heck

9171941
Jan 27, 15

bookshelves: journalism, non-fiction, own
Read in May, 2012

I have not even finished this book yet (and I'm unsure whether I will even do it), but I have to take three stars away from my dear friend P. J. O'Rourke. I loved "Holidays in Hell." It's one of the funniest books I've ever read and as a journalist (although I never even came close to the war sceneries and gang territories he describes) it feels quite familiar. So I had very high hopes for this one. Sadly, they were not fulfilled. I have read about five of the stories so far and they are dull, slow, and very political. Too political for my taste, especially because O'Rourke is republican (which I was not aware of when reading "Holidays in Hell"). He walks on mined territory by talking about things like abortion and his endorsement of wars and weapons. But even my political differences with the author taken aside, this book does not even come close to the genius of its predecessor. If you'd like to read stories about him going skiing in Ohio with his wife and kids and visiting war monuments and airplanes, you might like this one. I, however, was hoping for a continuation of the first part of the series and was bitterly disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays in Heck.