Robin Wiley's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Apr 30, 2012

bookshelves: erotic-fiction, love-it-more-than-puppies, romance

I didn't even know this was a genre. I've never seen a shelf at Borders. But I'm not completely without references. I've read some sexy Jackie Collins and Judith Krantz. I read all of Anne Rice's kinky stuff back some 15 years ago, and I LOVE Jacqueline Cary.

If you've read any of my reviews you know how I feel about hype books, but I was flipping through my Entertainment Weekly and saw a bit on this. So what to do?

I asked a couple of people on Goodreads and they were annoyingly non-committal. But, hell, I read what I read, I like what I like - and worse case scenario - a $9 loser on Kindle is better than some of the full price hardback losers I've walked out of Barnes and Noble with, right?

So, just to let you know, a mere 36 hours later I'm on book #2.

This is Exit to Eden meets Pretty Woman. I completely dug it. It's written from Ana's first person POV and there is ALOT of free flowing (snarky) inner dialogue. Think Stephanie Plum, Rachel Morgan and Bridget Jones - all put together. If you find that style annoying, then back away. Me? I loved it. She's a major smart-ass. She has ongoing battles with her angel (subconscious) and her demon (inner goddess) which I also enjoyed.

It's dark and twisty, sexy and sarcastic. And the sex is really not as disturbing as I thought it might get (or hoped...?).

That I will finish and love the trilogy is a foregone conclusion. I will probably be done by the weekend.

1 like · flag