Daniel's Reviews > Carnivorous Nights: On The Trail Of The Tasmanian Tiger

Carnivorous Nights by Margaret Mittelbach

May 31, 2012

Read from April 30 to May 31, 2012

When I started this book I thought I was really going to enjoy it, but then, after reading a bit and mulling on it, I changed my mind. There was one thing I couldn't get my head around, and that was the constant use of the first person plural (at least, I think that's what you call it). The authors, and there were two, would constantly refer to themselves as "we", which I guess is understandable, but it just didn't work. It felt like the queen was writing the damn thing, and it didn't just apply to "we went here", or "we did this", but "we dreamt this" and "we thought this". That doesn't happen. Ever.
Everytime this happened the whole book seemed to cave in: the story stopped and the world came back. That's not a good thing to happen in a book.
I think the thing that saved Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger for me was the fact that I read it very slowly. I kept going back to i becuase I kept forgetting how annoying it is to hear "we said" et all., and I could cope with it in small chunks because the story, and the message, are really very good.
It's a good, fun book, with plenty of facts and anecdotes. There's some fascinating people, sad stories, and a bit of hope (which is always nice!) as well. A good book for people who care about trees and animals and who vote Green.
I changed my mind again and did really enjoy it! All I can say is this: read it slowly , and try not to get too bogged down with all the we-ing, you might learn something, and you probably will get a little bit curious about the thylacine - I can't wait to get to Tasmania!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnivorous Nights.

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah Oh wow. I am totally one of those people who thinks there are still some running around out there in the woods of Tasmania. You'll have to let me know if I'm drastically wrong...

Daniel Don't worry Leah, I'm a believer, no matter what the book ends up saying :-)

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah Glad to hear it. Perhaps the aliens took them for testing? Or that new spaceship with its solar panels...

Daniel Where's the Doctor when you need him?

message 5: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby We won't be going to Tasmania. They have two heads i'm told. That's kinda scary when it's not in a Douglas Adams novel.

Daniel I think it's only a small minority with two heads, so you might be ok? Just stay away from country towns x