Scott Miles's Reviews > Prey

Prey by Michael Crichton

M 50x66
Apr 30, 12

Read on April 30, 2012

I was looking for something in the Neal Stephenson vein and saw this in my recommendations on Amazon. I had heard a lot of good things about Crichton, so I thought I would give it a try.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the book. The fact that I finished it over the weekend says something by itself though - it was a very compelling read. I was literally flying through the pages in some parts which means it was interesting and written in a very easy style. I stopped to think about this for a minute because the experience was so different from say, a Cormac McCarthy book, which are so dense and require you to go back and re-read a paragraph sometimes. This is also true with another book I just started, Anna Karenina.

So that was the big plus, on the negative side, it just seemed a little too "fantastic" of a plot and very unrealistic in parts. The whole dialogue between the kids and the dad just seemed really fake also - apparently written by someone who is at least a generation removed from modern kids.

I won't give away any spoilers, but I will note that it was really interesting in light of a recent TED talk I saw on (I forget the technical term) "micro-helicopters" and their potential applications in warfare and spycraft. One more case where Crichton was ahead of the curve I guess (this was published in 2002 I think...)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prey.