Sarah's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in May, 2012

**review includes mild spoilers**

If I could, I'd give this book 2.5 stars. It was OK, not terrible, but not great either. Gemma is a 37 year old private chef in DC and the book covers her relationships with her clients (one for every night of the week) as well as her relationships outside of work (her cousin Penny, friend Lynn, and her dating interests.)

This is obviously chick-lit, so I tend to have lower expectations for these kinds of books - nothing heavy, just light and engaging. I did zip right through this book, and as a DC area resident enjoyed the references to the city and its neighborhoods, but I thought the characters were routine (the controlling wife, the obese shut-in), not terribly original and for me that made it difficult to engage with.

The twist was a mild surprise - I expected it about 50 pages before, and the ending irritated me in the sense that Gemma makes the safe, but "romantic" choice that ties the book up in a nice little bow. I thought this would be an Emily Giffin-like book, but it did not meet that standard.

I received an ARC through a Goodreads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.