Brenda's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

May 15, 12

At first, I really liked the heroine of When in Doubt, Add Butter. She was quick, sassy, and self-deprecating. She owned her own business and took care of herself. She had the potential to be a really interesting character but then the plot sabotaged her and made her into an unlikable idiot. About a third of the way through, quick and sassy Gemma became stupid and whiny. I couldn't actually believe how stupid she became. I mean she wasn't living in an Agatha Christie novel. Every major plot twist was so obvious that even Gemma should have been able to see them coming. She should have known from the very start who was sabotaging her work and why. She should have known the man in the picture was not Mr. Tuesday from her conversation with him. She should have known about her little surprise a lot earlier than she did. I mean, she was seeing a psychic, for goodness sake! The psychic was actually spelling everything out for her, and she still couldn't figure it out. Gemma was so unlikable at the end that I hated that she got her inexplicable happy ending. Actually, everyone gets a happy ending--no matter how far fetched it seems. I wanted to like this book but the weird plot forced Gemma to be too stupid. In the end, I just couldn't buy into her character or her happily ever after.

(I received this book through Goodreads giveaways.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.