Stacey's Reviews > The Undertow

The Undertow by Jo Baker

May 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, owned
Read from May 16 to 19, 2012

I received this book via a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I know I gave this book two stars, but it's not because it was such a terrible book, I was just really disappointed. I guess I set myself up with high expectations because it seems like I should have liked this one.

My first issue was that I never really connected with any of the characters. Beyond the fact that none of them were all that likeable, it was a little annoying that everyone in the family was some variant of William. Towards the end, I was confusing William and Billy and Will. The only character I thought was alright was Billie. She almost saved it. Almost.

Just because I didn't like the characters didn't automatically mean that I dismissed the book. There's lots of unlikeable people in real life, so if the author can deliver on the mood and general level of writing, then I'd still consider it a good book. That wasn't the case for me though. I found the writing average - decent, but not great.

I still feel like I gave it a fair chance, but when I was nearing the end, I realized that I just didn't care what happened to any of them. Sigh. At least it was free:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undertow.

05/16/2012 page 10