Stephenie's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Apr 30, 2012

did not like it
Read in April, 2012

First of all, I have to say that this is one of my favourite book covers. Its just gorgeous and it really reminds me of fairytales. When I first looked at the cover I instantly thought that this could be Fae or Fairies. However, I was surprised to read about reincarnation and the like. Honestly, it didn't really grab my attention but I thought to give it a shot.

I read this after reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, so I had high expectations for this book and sadly this book failed in every aspect.

Lets look at the plot. Its sort of a mixed genre book. Theres the dystopian/Utopian society but I felt there was heavy fantasy elements in this book.
The idea of reincarnation is always intriguing and it gives a different perspective to eternal life. Not just vamps get to live forever, but then thats where the good parts ended.
Suddenly the story just got carried away. There is Sylphs & Dragons that attack humans. There is Janan who is like a mystical god and a tower in the middle of the city which no one can explain.
And not only do they fight mystical creatures they also have to deal with nasty humans, Li being one and also the corrupt council. Then there is the crazy ending which wasn't necessary at all and didn't make sense?! Nothing for me was resolved. I was left truly dumbfounded.
However the craziest and weirdest thing about the book was how they get reincarnated into both genders at some time of their lives....weird much?!

I couldn't connect to any of the characters. I found Ana to be an angry and clueless child who at every opportunity chucked a hissy fit when she didn't get her way or she didn't understand something.
The insta-love relationship with Sam and Ana lacked chemistry..it's the only way I can put it. The tent scene was creepy, if I was Ana I would have run a mile if I woke up and a random person was hugging me.

I honestly wish I could give you more about the book. Some people loved this book but I think my tastes are changing the more I read and my expectations are getting higher.

You will either love it or hate it, but I will leave that decision up to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.