Rachel (BAVR)'s Reviews > Social Suicide

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: hot-guys-are-hot, young-adult

The second book in the Deadly Cool series features all of the fun humor and mystery I enjoyed in the first installment. And by all, I mean freaking ALL of the same things I enjoyed before.

This story followed a very, VERY close formula to the first (LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD):
- Girl is found dead.
- Hartley takes it upon herself to prove girl was murdered.
- Hartley comes up with lots of bad ideas and lies to adults AND authorities.
- Inconsequential flirting with Chase.
- More people get hurt.
- Hartley continues to be a very bad detective.
- Hartley ends up in life-threatening danger.

There's nothing wrong with that formula. I actually think it's charming that Hartley's a crappy detective. She has spunk and determination instead of unrealistic super-spy(!) gifts, so it adds more tension to the plot. Alas, a lot of the tension from this plot was removed because it was so similar to the first book.

I don't regret reading Social Suicide. The understated, often horribly AWKWARD romance is a refreshing change in the YA genre, and Hartley's ability to stay alive despite her childlike incompetence keeps the narrative rolling at an easy-to-read pace. I just hope that the third book either grows on the existing formula or changes it. Times are tough, and I don't have the disposable income to read the same book three or four times. That's right. This review just got ECONOMIED!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Suicide.