Diana Ubilla's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: book-club

Spoilers......
I would have like to given this a 4 but couldn't due to the quality of writing in some parts.

I loved the first half of the book. I was riveted by Sarah's story and the interplay between the two worlds was well written. I was horrified by the vel d'hiv events and know pathetically little about WWII events and had never heard of the French round up.
Sarah was well written though as was that story line. It seems like such an impossible thing that your own country's police could be involved in that. Also the general theme of France turning an eye from those events- not teaching it in school, offering an apology in the 90's....it makes me think more about where we came from, what humans are capable of- both good and bad.

Julia drove me a little crazy and the constant repetitive dialogue was annoying. When first introduced her thoughts about her husband where what first put my alert up that character was going to be tough to take. Rambling about her handsome sexy husband, charming, etc.....seemed so objectifying. Not condoning Bertones actions but no wonder her told Julia that she didn't hear him or listen to him. She seemed to think and feel very shallowly about him.
And though I do think that she needed to tell Sarah's family the truth about her I was yelling at the book when she first met with William- how could she have NOT considered that he would not know??? Really?? Efpicislly considering Sarah died when he was 12. Did she not consider that people may not sit there children down to tell them personal stories of human tragedy? Again, it's an option that I would think most people would consider. And to feel so compelled to tell them just to say that your family cared seemed trite. Tell them because it's the truth.
The writers style in the second half of the book was weak. Didn't we know the baby's name was Sarah? Right????
I did like the ending but was tired of the jargon in Sarah's head by the end- "it felt so comfortable, silence was not awkward with William" this was repeated at least three times- we get it- these two are getting together.
Over all I would say I loved the first half and tolerated the second in order to get more of Sarah's story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.