Janet's Reviews > A Foreign Country

A Foreign Country by Charles Cumming

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: first-read-wins
Read from May 15 to June 30, 2012

I receieved this book as a 1st read win....way back early May.

I got about 40 pages in and managed to break my glasses. Oops. I'm not getting into the next four and a half weeks of complete frustration waiting for a decent pair of WORKING glasses. Only good thing about not being able to see is how much easier (& faster) the housework became.

A word to the wise - if you're having to wear trifocals, GET A SPARE PAIR.

I love spy stories and A Foreign Country did not disappoint. It started thirty-plus years in the past and jumped from there...to different seemingly unrelated events and characters...just as the blurb promised. Oh fun! Layers of Secrets! Who knew what and when did they know? How is all this going to tie up together?

Mr Cumming tied it all up very well. For the most part, the plotting was fast...and when there was a momentary "slowdown" in the action, he had me feeling the character's impatience and frustration as well. I found his various main "good guy" characters to be well rounded and thought out. The "bad guy" characters were more like Hollywood stock characters, but that's ok for me. I wasn't prepared to like them anyways. I did especially like Thomas Kell...and the "moral" quandries he dealt with both personal & professional within the book.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a good spy story. It was a fairly easy read (once the "strands" got sorted out). I'll be looking for his other titles as well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Foreign Country.