Jenn(ifer)'s Reviews > White Noise

White Noise by Don DeLillo

May 07, 13

bookshelves: 5-f-ing-stars, game-changers, read-in-2012, the-tops, you-should-read-this, own, my-reviews-that-dont-suck, national-book-award-winners
Recommended to Jenn(ifer) by: the sentry to the island of misfit toys
Recommended for: believers
Read from April 30 to May 03, 2012

If I had it my way, as soon as you clicked on my review this song would blare from your speakers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1M... (and the video is amazing; I would rather you watch it than read my nonsensical ramblings)

************

This book smells like napalm. It sounds like air being slowly released from a balloon. It tastes like ashes of the American dream.

I wander the city, invisible earmuffs blocking out the sounds, eyes glued to pages, smile glued to my face. People look at me as if they want to know my secrets. I promise not to tell. Closer. Let me whisper in your ear. I’ll only give you glimpses...

Heinrich Gerhardt Gladney is a cynic. I want to get inside his head. We’re all suffering from brain fade.

The airborne toxic event. Cool name for a band? These guys thought so. Not if you look like that it's not.

description

Fear of death. Fear of life. Consumerism. Commercialism. Communism. Toyota Celica. Murray is a comic genius. No frills. The pills won’t save you. Orest Mercator. Going for the record. Snakes bite.

Elvis versus Hitler. How about a hybrid? Might look like this:

description

Where were you when James Dean died? Dylar. The most photographed barn in America. Babette has very important hair. Car crash seminars. Déjà vu. Ask the big important questions. Pointless conversations.

Strip malls. Cable tv.

Sex and death. Death. Life. Death.

"et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera

In the midst of life we are in death et cetera.

etceteraetceteraetceteraetceterainthemidstoflifeweareindeathetcetera…”

80 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Noise.

04/30/2012 "Damn it DeLillo, you're not going to make me stay up all night reading this are you? Cos I can't seem to put it down for more than 10 minute stints." 2 comments
05/01/2012
50.0% ""the third and related irony is that it's the most complex and neurotic and difficult women that I am invariably drawn to. I like simple men and complicated women"" 5 comments

Nick fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Jenn(ifer) oh, is that the sound of white noise?

Nick Yes indeed.

Mark This one was fun! Little slow in places, but a good metaphorical read

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma Nice video, even better review.

s.penkevich Dylar.
My boss back in my days of Old Navy named his son Heinrich because of this book. Poor kid.
I love this review. Fits the mood like a nice expensive leather glove from a chic shopping mall.
Dylar.

B0nnie Mad World, Gary Jules, Donnie Darko, White Noise, (Jenn)ifer's review : yeah I'm a believer! This book - for all the darkness - made me laugh out loud far too many times - maybe I belong on that island.

Mark Jenn = the new Burroughs. That's a 5-fing-star review

Jenn(ifer) Mike wrote: "Nice video, even better review."

Thanks Mike! Nice of you to say. That's one of my all time favorite music videos.

Jenn(ifer) s.penkevich wrote: "Dylar.
Dy..."

Thanks Sven!
You worked at Old Navy? I know a Heinrich, but he's German, like, from Germany.

Jenn(ifer) B0nnie wrote: "Mad World, Gary Jules, Donnie Darko, White Noise, (Jenn)ifer's review : yeah I'm a believer! This book - for all the darkness - made me laugh out loud far too many times - maybe I belong on that i..."

Thanks Bonnie! I found myself inappropriately laughing A LOT and people were giving me funny looks. It's that kinda book.

Jenn(ifer) Mark wrote: "Jenn = the new Burroughs. That's a 5-fing-star review"

aw shucks. you're too kind

Stephen M Sweet shit.

It tasted like the the ashes of american flags to me.

Jenn(ifer) have I mentioned that YHF is my favorite album of all time? once or twice? So glad someone got the reference!

Jenn(ifer) ha! did so! now if only i could find the threads where I've talked about this... hm.

Jenn(ifer) made no difference ever known, made no difference ever known to me

Jenn(ifer) nothing wrong with that Scott. imma listen to it right now

s.penkevich (Jenn)ifer wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "Dylar.

Yeah. Money and jobs were tight in the early college days ha.

Stephen M (Jenn)ifer wrote: "have I mentioned that YHF is my favorite album of all time? once or twice? So glad someone got the reference!"

I'm the man that loves you.(because of that comment and other things too.)

Jenn(ifer) awwww shucks

Stephen M That album got me into all the music I listen to now. Ah, Wilco and Jeff Tweedy's scruffy, endearing awkwardness.

Jenn(ifer) Stephen M wrote: "That album got me into all the music I listen to now. Ah, Wilco and Jeff Tweedy's scruffy, endearing awkwardness.

my love for Jeff Tweedy knows no bounds. scruffy, endearing, awkward brilliance

Jenn(ifer) Mariel wrote: "I feel all warm inside now."

if my review made you feel all warm inside, then I am a happy camper.... uh... reader.. uh writer.. whatever I am

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg I think I enjoyed your review a lot more than I enjoyed White Noise itself.

Jenn(ifer) Greg wrote: "I think I enjoyed your review a lot more than I enjoyed White Noise itself."

That might be the nicest thing I've heard since message #24. Thanks!

message 27: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Was this review inspired by Ulysses?

Jenn(ifer) NICK! I'm so glad you said that. You win the prize. It was inspired by a particular chapter of Ulysses, yes indeedy

message 29: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Oooo! What's my prize?

Jenn(ifer) uhhh.. let me think about it. what made you ask if it was inspired by Ulysses?

message 31: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick You had just read Ulysses and I have Joyce on the brain at the moment. I am currently re-reading Dubliners and will be moving on to Finnegans Wake afterwards.

Jenn(ifer) I see. Remember 'Wandering Rocks' (the chapter that was like a panoramic view of Dublin)? I was trying to do a panorama of 'White Noise'.

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Ahh, yeah, ok, I thought that was the episode you were going for. Brilliantly written, by the way (your review). I anxiously await my prize. :)

Jenn(ifer) shhhhhh... I'm hunting wabbits.

message 35: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

"You think my laugh sounds like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer?"

message 36: by Ian (last edited May 23, 2012 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff (Jenn)ifer wrote: "Elvis versus Hitler."

Impossible Germany, Unlikely Graceland.

As if you need another reason to believe.

Someone's listening.

Jenn(ifer) Ian wrote: "(Jenn)ifer wrote: "Elvis versus Hitler."

Impossible Germany, Unlikely Graceland.

As if you ..."

Ha ha! I was actually going to use that song for my Gravity's Rainbow review (what w/the WWII references and all)

Jenn(ifer) btw, Glenn Kotche is my favorite percussionist of life

Jenn(ifer) Scott wrote: "(Jenn)ifer wrote: "btw, Glenn Kotche is my favorite percussionist of life"

"She fell in love with the drummer. Another then another.""

oh you don't know how true that is!

message 40: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason We are the same person. That Donnie Darko song effing rules.

Jenn(ifer) Twinsies! And I don't know if you've read the book, but it is sooooo fitting. Love that song. And the video is pretty cool too.

message 42: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason I will definitely read the book at some point. It's on my list!

David This is one of my favorite books. I approve of your approval.

Jenn(ifer) my life is now complete

David Ouch.

Jenn(ifer) David wrote: "Ouch."

I'm kidding!!! Sheesh. big baby

David Jenn(ifer) wrote: "I'm kidding!!! Sheesh. big baby "

The biggest.

message 48: by Jenn(ifer) (last edited Jul 19, 2012 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn(ifer) David wrote: "This is one of my favorite books. I approve of your approval."

but not "pants crapping awesome" shelf worthy?

David Jenn(ifer) wrote: "David wrote: "This is one of my favorite books. I approve of your approval."

but not "pants crapping awesome" shelf worthy?"

It's not on my pants-crapping shelf?? That is a grievous oversight which shall be rectified anon.

I think I dropped a load a couple times while reading this baby...

Jenn(ifer) David wrote: "Jenn(ifer) wrote: "David wrote: "This is one of my favorite books. I approve of your approval."

but not "pants crapping awesome" shelf worthy?"

It's not on my pants-crapping shelf?? That is a gri..."

now my shelf stalking secret has been revealed!

« previous 1