Elaine Isaak's Reviews > Loving a Lost Lord

Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney

Apr 30, 12

Read in April, 2012

This is the book I read on the airplane yesterday. I was meant to put it down after takeoff and switch to e-reading, but I couldn't do that--it needed to be devoured.

Putney is a master of some marvelous literary techniques. In this book, she introduces the hero through the eyes and stories of his devoted friends, giving us a sense of his worth through the weight of their attachment to him.

Her historical England is rich with possibilities, and she touches on so many aspects of the period and cultures. She incorporates all levels of society, explores issues of the day, looks at cultural contrasts--and still crafts a spell-binding and sensual romance.

Toward the end, I found some aspects a little contrived, but that won't stop me from scooping up the rest of this series. As a good series should, this book introduces me to characters who will be the protagonists of the other books, and makes me wonder about them as well.

This is the second Mary Jo Putneybook I've read, and I'm excited to read many more!

Recommended for anyone who likes romances outside the box, with a hint of adventure and a deep historical setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving a Lost Lord.