Elliot Ratzman's Reviews > The Believers

The Believers by Zoë Heller

1999603
Apr 30, 12

Read from February 01 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy

“We all do some hurtful shit in our lives from time to time…It’s part of what makes us human.” A limousine leftist family headed by a radical lawyer (based on Kunstler?) is thrown into turmoil by his untimely stroke and coma. He had said “self-contradiction is one of the occupational hazards of being an American progressive.” His wife, Audrey, is perhaps the nastiest knot of negativity I have ever encountered. Heller, the author of Notes on a Scandal, has ingeniously balanced the unbalanced turmoil of private injustice and public do-gooding in the New York left: they love humanity but hate each other. Is self-righteousness the flip-side of self-loathing? Rosa, the austere daughter disillusioned by Cuba, finds herself attracted to orthodox Judaism, rendered with astounding verisimilitude. Karla, married to a union organizer, questions her devotion to family. The father’s coma is one dark night of the soulless, where personal change is as elusive as social change—ah, but the fine ending!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Believers.