Elliot Ratzman's Reviews > Einstein: His Life and Universe

Einstein by Walter Isaacson

1999603
Apr 30, 12

Read on July 01, 2009 — I own a copy

Citizen Einstein was a radical pacifist who changed his mind after Hitler; against nationalism, he worked for the Zionist cause and later criticized the treatment of Arabs. He was a life-long democratic socialist, a critic of Soviet Communism and American anti-Communism, and did what he could to eliminate racism. He rejected organized religion and the idea of a personal god but revered the mysteries of nature. Though he set the stage for quantum uncertainty he believed in an ordered reality: “God doesn’t play dice.” I know nothing about physics yet was able to follow almost everything in this lovely bio. For me, Einstein’s impact on culture is more interesting than his revolution in science. The bio gives you a great sense of Einstein’s worlds between Europe and Princeton, his fame and reception, and just how serious and admirable he was in public life and political pronouncements. From newly discovered letters we see his chaotic personal life: a saintly genius, but human and fallible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein.