Britta's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 21, 12

Read in April, 2012

Lets be real here for a moment, if you've read Divergent, you're definitely going to pick up Insurgent (unless you are crazy... in which I suggest you deal with that before reading on with this review). If you haven't read Divergent, don't ruin the series and instead go read the book or check out my review. But moving on... This is going to be one of those "reviews" that are not real reviews but more along the lines of "fan-girling opportunities". I'm sorry if I am not quite coherent, but that is basically how I felt after reading the novel.

Insurgent was one of the best books I've read in a while, if not one of the best book's I've ever read. Yes, there are some inconsistencies, and I will touch on those in a little while, but apart from those, I was completely taken with the story. I was able to deeply connect to the world. I wouldn't say to the characters, because I am so different from them, but I was totally immersed in the world. Without giving anything away, I totally called the twist at the end! That's allz I'm sayin'.

I know in my Divergent review I said I would totally be Amity.... but I lied (which further proves how Candor and I are not a good match). I would be Erudite without a doubt. I was just kind of in denial before.

Although I said I didn't connect deeply to the characters, that is not a fault in the writing. I see a huge part of it being that the characters block themselves off from each other, especially Tris, and they don't want people to get close to them. That did not make them undesirable, it just made them hardened and rough around the edges. Saying that I didn't connect to them did not mean I didn't care about them, because I really did. What I felt is something difficult to describe, but I'll try. With certain characters I am extremely upset when bad things happen to them, but with this series I am initially upset, but then I move on. A huge part of the world in the novel is picking yourself up and moving on, and that is exactly what I did when it came to the characters. But that's not to say I wasn't totally in love with Four...

Okay, moving on to the more controversial part of our program. There has been some drama over some inconsistencies and discrepancies between Divergent and Insurgent. Veronica Roth wrote a post about it HERE but did not reveal the specific instances. Honestly, when I read the novel, I was so engaged (and slightly insane from my rushing emotions) that I did not even notice them. I asked a family member to look for them as she read and she only could find one instance. Yes, they are there. Yes, it is a bit ridiculous that with so many people reading specifically for these types of things that discrepancies slip through the cracks, but they do. My point is, although it is disappointing to some that there are mistakes in Insurgent, it really does not take away from the overall story.

So overall? LOVED IT! Even though I saw the ending coming (so far I've been alone with this - so I wouldn't say it is predictable) I am still falling over excited for the third. Too bad we all have to wait OVER A YEAR for it! That's right, fall 2013. If any of you are wondering how to spend the time between now and then, I propose a challenge: Make me an Erudite t-shirt or necklace. I seriously want one (I am not kidding at all). And if you're not abnegation enough to just give it to me (haha), I would honestly pay you for it through Etsy or something... Think about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.