April's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Jul 30, 14

bookshelves: fae, ya, series, romance, parnormal
Read from April 29 to May 01, 2012

Aislinn or better known as Ash always followed her Grams rules when it comes to faeries, afraid of what they might do to her if they found out that she has the Sight. But now they are following her, and none of the rules seem to apply anymore. Learning that Keenan is the Summer King terrifies her. But getting rid of him seems to prove impossible.Turning to Seth, her best friend turned boyfriend, for help only puts him into danger. Keenan has been searching for his Summer Queen for the past nine hundred years. Until he finds her his powers are bound. Enter Donia. She had fallen in love with Keenan once upon ago. And believing that she could be with him forever and that she's his queen she risked the Winter Chill. Now she carries the chill with her and put warn every girl that Keenan decides upon not to trust him. Only way for her to be free is for another girl to take the risk, but they all decide to be Summer Girls; the faeries that make up the Summer Court. Keenan is sure that Ash is the Summer Queen and won't stop at nothing until he makes her his.

I was surprised at some of the content in the book considering it's YA. Ash friends are all into the party scene, including drugs. Even though Ash stays clean, she makes a reference that she doesn't drink or get high to keep her focus on following the rules. Towards the end of the book, Seth and Ash engage in some sexual activity, while it was never told straight out what they were doing it wasn't hard to figure it out. My impression is that the book is on a very fine line between YA and Adult.

The best part to me was the Seth and Ash scenes. I just wasn't interested in Keenan pursing Ash. I got the impression that Keenan was desperate to find his queen he didn't care who it was. Even though you could still see the sparks between him and his old love Donia. When Ash realizes she has no other choice but to accept Summer Queen she makes it plain and simple to Keenan she sees this as a job and there will be no love between them. What I am disappointed in is the fact that we learn Ash's mom, who was thought to die in childbirth, revealed to be one of the girls Keenan pursued in the past was the only one to escape the faery life by dying. I really thought that would of impacted Ash more, and even thought we would hear more about it.

I wouldn't say this was the best book, or even I couldn't put it down. What kept me most intrigued and wanting to read more was Seth and Ash. All in all it was still a good book. And I'll continue to read the series to see what happens to them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.