Lindsey's Reviews > Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together

Real Marriage by Mark Driscoll

Apr 29, 12

Ultimately, this book was just kind of boring to read and I found myself skimming often. I suppose this book would be a good intro to anyone who doesn't have the time or motivation to read all the much better books that are referenced in this one, but there's nothing really new here that you couldn't find (and written much better) in other books. But then, I'm probably not the audience for this book. There wasn't much I'd disagree with in the first part; I've just heard it better elsewhere.

The controversy in this book is its discussion of sex, but the Driscolls make the assumption that sex hasn't been "addressed" well enough. Maybe this is true in some contexts, but that seems naive of the fact that it isn't too hard to find much better books on even this subject if someone would just take the time to look. And here, they seem to miss some of the bigger principles of sex and marriage to jump right into technical details. The whole section comes across as "tell me what I can get away with and still call myself a good Christian"; they don't adequately address the motivations of the heart as a far more important consideration than "does the Bible forbid it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Marriage.