Jen's Reviews > All That I Am

All That I Am by Anna Funder

F 50x66
Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: war, australian

** spoiler alert ** Set in the years leading up to the outbreak of the second world war, this novel charts the resistance of many Germans to the rise of Hitler. Many of the characters are real people, many of them well known activists who were forced to flee Germany or face death. Those living in England faced constant scrutiny from German spies and were under threat of being murdered, even though on foreign soil. It is an amazing book in that it brings to light an episode of history that is not well known, and is told in such a vivid way. Ruth, one of the central characters, relives this period of her life as she lies near death in a Sydney hospital. The novel alternates chapters by Ruth and Toller, who was a prominent German writer, as they tell of their years living in exile, Ruth in England with her cousin Dora, and Toller in the US. Parts of this novel are truly frightening, in particular how German agents were able to infiltrate England and murder Dora, in an attempt to prevent their activities becoming known to other countries in Europe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All That I Am.