Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Suite Scarlett

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, 2012, contemporary, audio-book
Read from June 23 to 26, 2012

I thought Suite Scarlett was just okay. High school me probably would have loved it, but unfortunately, 26 year old me did not. There was something that made me think of The Suite Life of Zach and Cody.

The story itself was kind of interesting- a rundown hotel that's not doing too well. We only learn a handful of things about the hotel, none of which stuck with me. The characters were boring, and while I thought the relationships between Lola, Scarlett and Marlene were interesting, their relationship with their brother Spencer got annoying.

By the end of the book, I was pretty annoyed with both Spencer and with Eric, who is Scarlett's not-boyfriend. They both acted like idiots, especially Eric. Mrs. Amberson was over-the-top, but she probably had the most depth out of everyone. What is a little sad is that we don't know a lot about Scarlett, even though she is the main character.

As for the narration itself, it was okay. The narrator did pretty well with the voices, and while her voice got really annoying by the end of it, her voice is how I would imagine Scarlett's speaking voice. Still, I'm glad I listened to it, because otherwise, I might have given up on it.

It gets a 2 out of 5. It was just okay, and while I'm slightly curious as to how things work out for the Hopewell Hotel and its inhabitants, I won't be rushing out to read the next book anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Scarlett.