Katy's Reviews > The Void

The Void by Brett J. Talley

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: ebook, librarything-win
Read from July 12 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Book Info: Genre: Dark Science Fantasy Reading Level: Adult Ebook available at Journalstone or Amazon; Paperback or Hardcover copy is available as of today, 7/13/12 on Amazon

Disclosure: I received a free eBook ARC from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. To make things even better, I just received a free paperback uncorrected proof from Journalstone in a promotion! This will not, of course, affect my opinion of the book, but it is awesome!

Synopsis: In the deepest reaches of space, on a ship that no longer exists, six travelers stare into the abyss . . . and the abyss stares back.

Man has finally mastered the art of space travel and in a few hours passengers can travel light years across the galaxy. But, there's a catch—the traveler must be asleep for the journey, and with sleep come the dreams. Only the sleeper can know what his dream entails, for each is tailored to his own mind, built from his fears, his secrets, his past . . . and sometimes his future.

That the dreams occasionally drive men mad is but the price of technological advance. But when a transport on a routine mission comes upon an abandoned ship, missing for more than a decade, six travelers—each with something to hide—discover that perhaps the dreams are more than just figments of their imagination. Indeed, they may be a window to a reality beyond their own where shadow has substance and the darkness is a thing unto itself, truly worthy of fear.

My Thoughts: Brett J. Talley burst onto the scene last year with his Bram Stoker finalist, Lovecraftian debut, That Which Should not Be , which I absolutely loved, and so did many others. To say I was anticipating this book would be seriously understating the excitement I’ve felt while anticipating the chance to finally read it.

One thing Talley does really well is to create that form of creeping suspense, that feeling that something …. terrible and terrifying waits just right around that corner up ahead. At first this is done subtly, with minor things happening around the characters that could just be their own paranoia, their imagination, but then it starts to ramp up and pretty soon the reader is hanging on the edge of their seat and ready to jump if there is an unexpected sound in the house.

I had initially figured this to be a form of horror/science fiction blend, but after finishing the book, I don’t think I could define it as horror, although it does have some horrific elements, and is very Lovecraftian. No, I have changed my definition to dark science-fantasy, and I think once you read this book you will agree this is fitting. Highly recommended for fans of Cthulhian/Lovecraftian fiction, for fans of the darker prose, for those who enjoy an element of fantasy in their science fiction. This is a really well-written book, and I think that you absolutely cannot go wrong in grabbing a copy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Void.

07/12/2012 page 151
60.0% "body's trying to catch up on sleep. Popped in quick, but not checking email until I finish this book dammit!"

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Karen Wow Katy, I loved Bretts previous book, The Void looks great, let me know what you think, Karen x

Katy Karen wrote: "Wow Katy, I loved Bretts previous book, The Void looks great, let me know what you think, Karen x"

review up!

message 4: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia I won this on LibraryThing too. Now you've renewed my excitement about it!

Karen Katy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Wow Katy, I loved Bretts previous book, The Void looks great, let me know what you think, Karen x"

review up!"

Great review Katy, I jumped into Amazon UK and got it for my Kindle immediately. Can't wait to read it now!

Katy I've noticed a lot of reviewers complaining about the (very few) spelling and grammar mistakes in their ... ummm ... ARC? Uncorrected proof? Does anyone else wonder if these folks don't understand what that means? *sigh* But Brett does an awesome job of making this super creepy - I hope you'll both enjoy it as much as I did!

Katy Alan wrote: "I won a copy last night on Goodreads."

Oh, congrats! It's a fun book!