JoLee's Reviews > Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Feb 27, 14

bookshelves: 2012, e-book
Read in April, 2012

This was going to be a book club read, but then we decided to pick something else instead. I already had it in my queue at the library so I went ahead and read it anyway.

Helen Simonson's novel about an the aging Major Pettigrew, his English village of Edgecombe, St. Mary, and the enchanting Mrs. Ali started out really great. Major Pettigrew has a captivating dry humor. The images of the village and the countryside are lovingly described. Mrs. Ali is smart and real. However, by the middle of the novel all the horrible, snitty side characters were driving me crazy. Some of them are truly awful. Luckily, the end of the novel picks up again, as Major Pettigrew receives some very good advice from one of the side characters who is not dreadful and follows his heart. Also, it was nice to see Roger (who seemed to be a truly horrible son) grow up a bit. I loved his very funny retelling of the events in Scotland.

More at "They Began as Friends" romances at Intellectual Recreation

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.