La Petite Américaine's Reviews > The Secret History

Sep 09, 08

bookshelves: meh-whatever
Recommended for: People who Don't Have ADHD
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

I find it risky for an author to begin a book the way Tartt begins this novel: telling the entire story in the first two pages. (Come to think of it, I think the only author who ever got away with "beginning at the end" was Martin Amos in Time's Arrow -- and that's because the novel reads backwards.) It didn't work for me in this story, as it removed any possible suspense, making the rest of the book predictable, right up to the 658th page.

To the author's credit, the book was incredibly well-written, superbly researched, and entertaining. I also loved that the characters are not "presented" to us; rather, like real people, they slowly appear imperfect, unraveling into their true selves over time.

I can definitely see why people liked this book. I just don't have attention spans for books this long, especially when I already know what's coming. Can't say I didn't get my 3 Euros worth though.

Meh. Whatever.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Oh but it's so good!

Tanvi Luckily I completely missed that first page on my first read. I ripped it out of my copy as soon as I realised it was there.