Rebecca N. McKinnon's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Feb 13, 2016

bookshelves: re-read, ba-ya, dystopian, need-to-listen-to-the-audiobook, reviewed, series
Read in April, 2012

I wrote in my Hunger Games review that the first book was slightly predictable. Therefore, I expected Catching Fire to also be slightly predictable. In fact, I had an entire fictionalized plot already in my mind--a list of things I expected to happen, based solely on the title and Katniss' personality traits. As it turned out, Collins surprised the hell out of me. Catching Fire is also a page-turner but not for the reasons I expected it to be. Catching Fire is a page-turner because the plot is so unpredictable that the reader is left too dazzled and mesmerized by the shocking events to stop reading. I can't even comment any further on it because I feel it would simply be a recounting of events that shocked and exhilarated me!! But I will say! The love triangle is complicated even further by the exploration of Peeta, Gale, and Katniss' relationships with each other. They're as complex and confusing as any IRL love triangle can be--especially one in which the object of affection is as aloof and flighty as Katniss can be!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

02/13 marked as: read