Linda's Reviews > Song of Scarabaeus

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

3919132
Apr 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: futuristic-romance, cyber-crime, dark-sci-fi, hero-is-a-slave, series
Read in December, 2010

I would have given the book four stars (possibly five) if I knew that the story was a cliffhanger and if Ms. Creasy had a sequel published at the same time. Then, I would have ordered the two books at the same time and read them. SONG OF SCARABAEUS is a sci fi fantasy first with a dash of romance. Our heroine, Edie, is written as a strong female. She has managed to stay alive at a time when the world as we know it no longer exists. She has a gift; an ability that the ruling regime wants to exploit. In fact, any group that comes in contact with her, wants to use it. What makes her story interesting is Edie being 'leashed' to Finn, a freedom fighter. How they cope raises the bar on this scifi fantasy.

The characters are well-developed and the action is nail-biting at times but the story lacks closure. Tension is underlying throughout the narrative and the some big questions become, who can Edie trust? What happened to Finn? Can Edie use her abilities to help others without living in fear? Too many questions are left unsolved. I think it is safe to say that you, the reader, need to know this before purchasing the book. I wish I did. Have CHILDREN OF SCARABAEUS ready when you pick up this book.

Until then if you like scifi action in a similar vein and want stronger romances try DRIVEN by Eve Kenin or COUNTDOWN by Michelle Maddox.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Scarabaeus.