rubywednesday's Reviews > Slammed

Apr 30, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: ya-contemporary, romance, don-t-waste-your-time-money
Read from April 29 to 30, 2012

why do I keep getting my hopes over books like this? I always end up disappointed.

I was intrigued by the premise and I really thought it would be something super intense and original. Actually, I pretty much thought they were going to be related lol. *spoiler alert* they weren't

This situation - (view spoiler) is so basic and cliché that I was annoyed when it was revealed. I still went with it, because I've been known to find that kind of thing intriguing in the past, but the writing and the odd pace made it really hard to care about.

What did I like?
-there were some yummy makeout scenes
-the kids were cute
-some very funny dialogue
-the surprise at the revelation of the mothers (view spoiler)

I disliked everything else
-the instant connection between Will and Lake was so contrived
-the poetry slam. sorry, i like poetry and the writer expressed the words very well, but i will never ever think it's cool
-the barrage of unnecessary details about clothes, makeup and day to day activities
-all of Will's interactions with the students felt so unrealistic
-the sleazy guy. of course.
-his dad, MR CHORIZO. correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's a common name. having a presumably Hispanic family called chorizo made me uncomfortable. do we ever read German characters called mr. frankfurter?
-the writing style was poor. There was one specific scene where Lake thought about a tradition with her dad, then told us she told Will about it. WHY COULDN'T WE HAVE JUST SEEN HER TELL WILL ABOUT IT? this is one example. overall it was dry and failed to connect on an emotional level
-how everything worked out so perfectly, despite some really shitty circumstances.

It gets an extra star because i smiled a couple times while reading, but this is pretty bad and i do not recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

04/29/2012
85.0% "Mr chorizo? like a sausage?" 1 comment

message 1: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia Leigh I'm reading it now and feel the same way you do...was wondering, Is it me? This book got great reviews. But I'm glad to see another reviewer share my issues with this story. Well said!

rubywednesday Stacia wrote: "I'm reading it now and feel the same way you do...was wondering, Is it me? This book got great reviews. But I'm glad to see another reviewer share my issues with this story. Well said!"

thank you! I'd read a lot of positive stuff about this book so I was so disappointed when I couldn't get past its issues.

message 3: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia Leigh I'm still plodding along. 70% done. I would have ditched it already, but I feel like, with the great reviews, it may redeem itself at the end? I also don't see why everyone is ga-ga for Will...he lures her in for a passionate kiss...then pushes her away coldly, "It can never work. Go home." Meh.

Miryeo do we ever read German characters called mr. frankfurter?

Win.

Zann Mr. Chorizo? Are you referring to Javier's father? His name was Mr. Cruz.

rubywednesday Zann wrote: "Mr. Chorizo? Are you referring to Javier's father? His name was Mr. Cruz."

In the version I read, it was definitely Chorizo. I just checked to make sure when I saw your comment. It must have since been edited.

Zann Oh good thing!That would've been a silly last name. :)

Edmund Davis-Quinn Trust me, I do poetry slam and it's very, very cool indeed.

rubywednesday Edmund wrote: "Trust me, I do poetry slam and it's very, very cool indeed."

that's neat.It's not something I know a lot about, but I get that lots of people enjoy it. I guess I should have been more specific in my review and said that the author didn't do enough to convince me that in this case, it was interesting and powerful enough to have as strong an impact as it did.

Jennifer Tanko "There was one specific scene where Lake thought about a tradition with her dad, then told us she told Will about it. WHY COULDN'T WE HAVE JUST SEEN HER TELL WILL ABOUT IT? this is one example. overall it was dry and failed to connect on an emotional level."

rubywednesday Jennifer wrote: YES YES YES. This could have been much more interesting and involving if she had made scenes more interesting by having the characters do more stuff. And there's barely a plot. And even though a few characters are cool, I don't connect enough with them, you know? Very disappointed. "

ikr? like, i normally love forbidden romance type stories. but the plot was so thin and the author seemed hell bent on making everything turn out ok that all the potential was squandered.

Sarah Finally, a real review! I just wrote a similar one. I feel that anybody who gave this book 5 stars clearly doesn't read much.

Sarah Or they're just easily entertained. I prefer books with some substance.

rubywednesday Sarah wrote: "Finally, a real review! I just wrote a similar one. I feel that anybody who gave this book 5 stars clearly doesn't read much.Or they're just easily entertained. I prefer books with some substance.
"

it seems to be something people either love or hate and I know which side of the fence I came down on. I couldn't look past the glaring flaws, but judging by the glowing reviews there are lots of people who could.

rubywednesday Remi wrote: "That's so funny, When I read the synopsis I thought that they were going to be brother and sister also.

I liked your review though I don't share your opinion of the book. I'm loving insta-love. It..."

haha it's good to know I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm glad you enjoyed the book more than I did!

Naidene Completely agree I gave up when I got to the big twist. Very disappointed

message 17: by Olia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olia Thanks god I found your review, I started thinking there's something wrong with me since I couldn't get what people see in it, cause there's nothing to see! them falling in love felt extremely unbelievable it just ruined the whole thing. I'm highly disappointed cause "hopeless" got deep in my heart and I assumed another Colleen Hoover work would do its equal, guess next time ill be more cautious.

rubywednesday Olia wrote: "Thanks god I found your review, I started thinking there's something wrong with me since I couldn't get what people see in it, cause there's nothing to see! them falling in love felt extremely unb..."

Haha, I agree that there's definitely nothing to see. I think Slammed was Hoover's first book so perhaps her later ones are better. I've been reluctant to try Hopeless because I disliked this so much though

message 19: by Aa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aa Try Abbi glines' booksss!!
Love them loads.

And i strongly agreed to your review on this one!

rubywednesday Aa wrote: "Try Abbi glines' booksss!!
Love them loads.

And i strongly agreed to your review on this one!"

Thanks! I have heard good things about her stuff. I must check them out