Katie's Reviews > Our Tragic Universe

Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 29 to May 28, 2012

I loved this novel. Meg is going through a bit of a crisis: she's questioning her relationship with her boyfriend of seven years, she's broke, she can't seem to get a handle on finishing (or starting, really) the novel she was given a grant to write years ago, and she is in love with an older, unavailable man (who just may be interested in her, too). Interesting things begin to happen when she reviews a book that was not sent to her by the paper she writes for, and Meg starts to change her world.

This novel is beautifully written; Thomas knows her way around prose. Our Tragic Universe is filled with whimsy, mystery, and honest observations. It was easy for me to identify with Meg immediately, and I became invested in her story; this might have more to do with the fact that I was able to draw a lot of parallels between my life and Meg's, at this particular time in my life. Even not for that, I would have been drawn to such a thoughtful character. Though at times the book was a bit cerebral for me - I know nothing about scientific theories - I found that my misunderstanding added to the mysticism and magic of the read.

I liked Thomas' book so much that another novel by her, The End of Mr. Y, is on its way to me. Can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Tragic Universe.