AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

May 31, 13

bookshelves: memoir
Read in April, 2012

TCL call#: BIO STRAYED C
Marisa's rating: 3 stars

For anyone who enjoys hiking or backpacking! the author provides beautiful descriptions of the Pacific Crest Trail while also conquering some emotions troubles along the way. Extremely quick read!

Madeleine's rating - 2 stars
I wanted to like this, I did. Only I can't. I suspected trouble when I saw the Oprah Selection sticker on the cover and the rule still holds. Oprah = victim story = growth. Sigh.
Strayed is that Oprah victim. No one ever lost a mother like she lost a mother. She feels that greif so very much and acts out, destroying her marriage, becoming a heroin user, sucking everyone around her dry. Apparently all the while thinking she can be the strong one to hold the family together.
So she escapes to the trail - a plan of attack I myself have been known to employ (this is horrible, I shall jump somewhere else and do over). Only she carries this walking wounded mentality with her. Her adventures on the trail have an almost willful ignorance about them - if you feel threatened by men you don't settle in for the night where they know you are, you freaking move! Every woman knows that intrinsically in their spines. She ends her book discussing the great generosity she experienced on the trail and all I could think was how people must have seen her willful vulnerability and felt obligated to assist her. I wanted to find humor and strength in her story but only found myself annoyed and exhausted – the feeling I get whenever I am around the walking wounded. Whew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.