Stephanie's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

Re-reading through some of my old favorite books to see if I feel any differently about them after college.

LWW reads like it's set on fast forward, as if Lewis took a short story and made it into a book. There's a lot of narrative summary, and scenes move very quickly.

The most affecting scene for me now is the death of Aslan. It takes quite a while to play out, and when you're in the story you don't really know why Aslan has to do what he does. And that's interesting. The downside is you've only had a few scenes with this character (and a lot of build-up) so you don't have as much time to get attached to him. You get a better sense of Aslan when he's a recurring character in the other books.

It reminds me of the scene in Disney's Little Mermaid when Triton offers himself to the sea witch in his daughter's place. Except...and I never thought I would be saying this...Disney did it better than C.S. Lewis. The relationship between Triton and Ariel is already established, so you can really feel what the characters are going through.

Weirdly, the only problem I had with the Aslan scene was I felt let down when Aslan came back to life. What the fuck is wrong with me? Why do I want this noble character to stay dead?

But somehow...pulling "deeper deep magic" out of nowhere felt like such a cop-out. Almost like Aslan cheated. Same with the statues. The old "I'm so much more powerful than my enemy that I can squish her anytime, but I'll wait a thousand years before doing anything..." kind of hero.

The thing LWW does well is that even though much of it seems rushed, you somehow get a sense of this magical place. You're sold on Narnia in scenes like the one where the girls ride on Aslan's back. And the description at the end of the coronation, etc, is very lovely and Andersen-esque.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.