Gina's Reviews > Spin

Spin by Catherine McKenzie

Goodreads Description- Katie Sandford has just gotten an interview at her favourite music magazine, The Line. It's the chance of a lifetime. So what does she do? Goes out to celebrate - and shows up still drunk at the interview. No surprise, she doesn't get the job, but the folks at The Line think she might be perfect for another assignment for their sister gossip rag. All Katie has to do is follow It Girl Amber Sheppard into rehab. If she can get the inside scoop (and complete the 30-day program without getting kicked out), they'll reconsider her for the job at The Line.

Katie takes the job. But things get complicated when real friendships develop, a cute celebrity handler named Henry gets involved, and Katie begins to realize she may be in rehab for a reason. Katie has to make a decision -- is publishing the article worth everything she has to lose?

Katie doesn't know she is an alcoholic, but at 30, still hanging out with college students, and lying about her age to go to "wine and cheese" parties, she is a classic AA candidate. She has always dreamed of writing for her favorite music magazine and when she finally gets her dream interview, she shows up still drunk from the night before and ends up throwing up in the bathroom. Needless to say, she doesn't get the job. But, the lucky alcoholic Katie, is given a different offer. She is asked to go undercover to a rehab to follow and report on Hollywood's it girl, Amber from the hit show The Girl Next Door. Imagine Lindsay Lohan as the part of Amber, TGND. If she enters rehab and writes a successful article, then she will get her dreamjob at the music mag. So off Katie goes to rehab, which she thinks she doesn't need of course, and treats it as such. However, things start to change and she starts making actual friends with Amber and her other rehab buddies. She also starts realizing a hell of a lot about herself. She just might be an alcoholic....DUH!!! While she's there, she also meets Amber's on again off again boyfriend Connor and his "handler" Henry, who she falls madly in love with but can't seem to stop herself from pushing away anything that might make her happy. The big question for the end of the book is will Katie write the article? Will she stay sober? Will things continue with Henry? Well you will have to read the book to get the answers to those questions.

This most mostly a chick-lit/YA read. No foul language that stands out to me and is written using the standard chick-lit format. Girl meets boy. They flirt. Trouble. What will happen next? The End. I like a light read every now and then and heard the hype about this book and got it at the library. So I am ok with the chick-lit. However, what really bothered me was the way rehb was handled so lightly. Now I know, I just said it was chick-lit, but maybe that genre shouldn't involve rehab. I also realize that the author wanted to make a statement about celebrities and tabloids, but in real life, I don't think rehab is all that light, fun, and fluffy. It's hard, you get ugly sick detoxing, and it's not just a breeze after the detox. The way Amber and Candice acted during group therapy wanted to make me scream. People may act like that but not in a celebrity, gotcha kinda way. I also pretty much doubt you are going to find a hot guy in rehab, that is just in movies and books. The humor fell short with me, because rehab isn't fun. I know people who have gone and they wouldn't joke about it now or ever. Just like the tabloids and the media, it made rehab look fashionable. There are way better books that handle rehab in a much more realistic manner. All in all I liked the book and I am interested in her upcoming novels in hopes that she writes about a better matched topic with chick lit. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin.

05/27/2012 page 104