Julz's Reviews > This Other Eden

This Other Eden by Marilyn Harris

It's hard to call this story a romance. To me, this is more a dark story of an older man who becomes obsessed over a young girl and the lengths he would go to to "have" her after a major faux pas(*cough*;) at the beginning in response to her rejection of him. Gradually the obsession becomes a romance and you start to warm up to the guy along with our heroine.

However, I still can't call him a hero, which is one things I love about the story. The lead male character is very real from his selfishness and immaturity to his gullibility and knobby knees.

If you like it grittier, can tolerate everything not being tied up in a neat little bow, and can see a woman learning to love a terribly flawed man who's done some really bad things, then I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Other Eden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla Glad you enjoyed it! :) I <3 Thomas Eden like mad, but I would never want to meet him (or a guy like him) IRL. The most distance, the better, actually!

Julz IKR??? He's a guy you can really get into...on paper ;) I've been reading the reviews for the rest of the series. I'm kinda nervous. Can't believe this one will be the easiest to take...until the last two, which fall off the writing style grid.

Karla I'd recommend spacing them out. Wish I had, because I got so burned out/exhausted by the time #6 rolled around.

Karen This is so cool, I read these books when they came out back in the 70's & 80's and I loved them. I think I might have even read them more than once. You are so right Thomas Eden on paper is so lustworthy but I don't ever want to actually meet someone like him.

Julz This is one of my top favs of all time! I'm stuck on book two. I'm in love with Edward and can't stomach all the heartbreak in store. >;D It's really too bad too, because I'm really looking forward to book three. :D

Regan Walker Enjoyed your comments on this book, Juiz. I just started it. The writing is very detailed and somewhat slower than I might like but quite enthralling all the same.

Julz I'm definitely curious to see what you're overall opinion will be at the end.

She definitely paints a clear picture, which can be quite dreary at times, but never boring. I'd like to say she's one of my favorite authors, but I've only managed to get through this one book. She writes very angsty stories that hit hard at the heart.

Enjoy! :D

Regan Walker Julz wrote: "I'm definitely curious to see what you're overall opinion will be at the end.

Julz,
Have you read Teresa Denys? She wrote only two but they are amazing...The Flesh and the Devil and The Silver Devil. Keepers in my opinion. And classic bodice rippers, too.

Julz Regan wrote: "Julz,Have you read Teresa Denys? She wrote only two but they are amazing...The Flesh and the Devil and The Silver Devil. Keepers in my opinion. And classic bodice rippers, to"

Yes! I loved those, especially The Silver Devil. Those are certainly brave reads. ;D