Jackie's Reviews > Spirit Destinations

Spirit Destinations by Phillip Knight

May 11, 12

Read in May, 2012

I was encouraged to read this first novel by the cover blurb which described a character unsure if his experience with what he thinks is a spirit realm is the product of hallucinations from medication or actual contact with another realm. The story between the covers bore little resemblance to the advertised novel.

Sir Oliver Holmscraft of the Canadian Mounties, begins the story but disappears almost immediately, and is absent until a few pages from the end!

The bulk of the book is concerned with observations, descriptions and travel through a fantasy realm where the disembodied spirits are apparently also devoid of feelings. None of the characters in either realm became memorable to me for anything other than their narrated histories. These histories were in some cases presented as snippets of stories alluding to myths from human history. Rewriting of human history was disconcerting in places... [I was especially surprised to read of the building of Stonehenge being attributed to Druids[1], described as a race apart.]

I found the style, sentence structure and story uncomfortable to read. Conversations between humans, and between spirits, felt extremely unnatural.

The cover art was very good, but the book lacked the same polish.

_____________________________
I received a paperback copy of this novel, from the author, in a Firstreads giveaway.

[1] Druids: Anything by Peter Berresford-Ellis

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit Destinations.

05/05/2012 page 32