Lindsay's Reviews > Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith

F_50x66
May 19, 14

Read on April 29, 2012

A lot of these reviews seem very defensive-- as if by writing this book, Esquith is attacking those who teach differently. To echo the author's passion for the Bard, methinks those reviewers doth protest too much.
I loved the ideas he gives, and a few inspired me to think of modifications for implementation in teaching my community college class. While I can't utilize his whole arsenal of suggestions, I'm happy to learn what I can from someone so successful. The title is not 'Teach 17 Hours A Day,' but 'Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire.' Get so into your students' success that they can't help but be engaged!

Those picking at his methods certainly don't have to use them, and I'm not sure why so many are surprised to find him proud and confident-- why would he write a book or let other educators observe his class if he weren't!?!

This book is meant to serve not as a model to be replicated but as one man's set of tactics that may inspire you to broaden your own class' horizons. I'm glad I read it; I found flaws in my own thinking, some new ideas, and a great story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire.