Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > After the Golden Age

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Apr 29, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read on May 03, 2012

What a ride! I had such a hard time putting this down once I started it. And not just for the action, though there was certainly a lot of it. Celia was such a great character with depth beyond the initial gimmick. What would it be like growing up normal as the child of the two most powerful superheroes the city has ever seen? Or to be victim to yet another kidnapping—an occurrence so frequent as to be almost passé? But those are only the obvious questions. Celia is so much deeper than that—so much more real.

Celia has fought against being a mere appendage to her parents all her life, pulling away from them in every way she can think of only to be pulled back in time after time. After all, however much she may distance herself, the villains still know who her parents are.

So the book is as much about family and love and hate and rebellion and reconciliation as anything else—all without letting up on the action.

The only part I had a problem with was Celia's love life. I wasn't very convinced by any of her non-family relationships. Fortunately, they weren't a big part of the novel and if I just accept them as presented, they're okay. Kind of disappointing for a die-hard romantic like myself, however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Golden Age.

05/03/2012 page 225

Jessica I want to suggest this for book group. It was so much fun!

Jacob Proffitt Jessica wrote: "I want to suggest this for book group. It was so much fun!"

Well, as a fan of Carrie Vaughn, I can't say I'd object... :)