Teri's Reviews > Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

Apr 10, 2009

bookshelves: church-religion, fiction, 2009, read-the-book-watch-the-movie
Read in April, 2009

Went to a BYU education week class on finding good books to read. A woman in the class recommended this one. One of her favorites. I look forward to reading it and then watching the movie which Sally has highly recommended.
I loved this story. It was a bit of a challenge in the beginning. There is a lot of detailed description of clothing, customs, etc. Wallace addressed the reader and would try to put you in the location he was describing. It took some patience, but I began to really enjoy it.
The introduction is fascinating. Ben-Hur was published in 1880. It was the bestselling novel of all time until "Gone with the Wind" was published in 1936. That surprised me since most people are familiar with the 1959 movie, but when I told them I was reading the book, they didn't know there was a book. I didn't know there was a book until last year. Lew Wallace wrote Ben-Hur as a way to sort out his beliefs concerning God and Christ. "Long before I was through with my book, I became a believer in God and Christ."
It was a perfect read for the Easter season. I finished on Good Friday. I read the Barnes and Noble edition which is 635 pages. I am excited about watching the movie with all the knowledge I have gained from the book.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ben-Hur.

03/26/2009 page 35