Terri's Reviews > The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Apr 29, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I really liked this book. The author does capture the essence and atmosphere of 1920 Paris. A lot of the story is based on actual events and people so that made it very interesting.
They say there is a woman behind every great man and Hadley was that woman for Ernest Hemmingway. Even though he was great at his art he was many times not a great person, very self-centered,egotistical,ambitious at any cost. Ernest seemed to have that bigger than life personality that commanded an audience but in this book it reminds us he was also haunted and troubled constantly fighting bouts of depression.
I found it interesting that when Ernest truly achieved the success he so earnestly sought his personal life became a disaster and he turned his back on his wife and some long time personal friends who supported and believed in him when it was only a dream.

"You have to digest life. You have to chew it up and love it all through. You have to live it with your eyes, really, you can talk and talk and not get it right. You have to do it." Ernest

"For my part, I felt utterly stuck and conspired against. This is not my world. These were not my kind of people, and they were drawing Ernest in every passing day" Hadley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paris Wife.