Lynn's Reviews > The Lost Wife

The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman

Apr 29, 2012

Read from April 29 to May 08, 2012

I don't have to be afraid of spoilers here, because the big surprise is revealed in the first chapter. The reader is then transported back in time to relive the lives of the main characters leading up to the point of their reunion in the winter of their lives. It's a nice technique, but it is also frustrating at times sharing in each one's despair and yearning over the course of decades, knowing that what each believes about the other having perished is untrue.

This is the story of a young Czech couple who meet and fall in love just prior to the outbreak of World War II, when people are wary of the changes that are taking place and the treatment of Jews in Prague, but are unable to conceive of the atrocities that are yet to come. They are separated due to lack of money and connections, but mostly due to familial loyalty. Both hold out the hope that they will soon be reunited, but sixty years go by before that happens. In the interim, we experience their lives, losses and hardships - one of them in horrendous conditions and imprisonment, and the other in a different sort of imprisonment - the kind that memories, anguish, and the loss of a true love and soul mate create.

As a friend of mine wrote, this book was beautifully written. I look forward to reading Alyson Richman's other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Wife.

Merri nicely said

Lynn Thank you, Merrill - and thank you for your strong recommendation, which led me to get it!