Ida's Reviews > The Great Santini

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

May 05, 2012

Read from April 29 to May 05, 2012

As with other Pat Conroy novels, I loved this. His stories are amazing, so clearly detailed with characters jumping off the page. It is impossible to read this book without experiencing a vast array of emotions. In the description of 'The Great Santini', Bull Meecham, Marine fighter pilot extraordinaire, is supposedly "a man you should hate, but a man you will love". Unfortunately I found this to be untrue. I hated the character with a passion. I never changed my mind, although I kept reading and expecting that moment to arrive when I would feel compassion and love for this tyrannical, abusive father. He was despicable from beginning to end, a man who should never have fathered children and a man Lillian should have avoided at all costs especially for the sake of her children.

When I cried during the reading of parts of this explosive, emotional, at times quite funny story, it was for the pain and devastation the family suffered, particularly Ben's profound losses. When Bull Meecham says to Ben, "Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you say something?", Ben's answer says it all..."It wouldn't have made any difference, Dad. It just wouldn't have made any difference."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Santini.