Hope's Reviews > Deadlocked

Nov 13, 13

bookshelves: utter-shit

No, no, no, no, no.
Deadlocked was terrible.

Deadlocked begins with Sookie at Hooligans watching Claude strip. I thought that was an interesting beginning, but no. It went rapidly downhill from there. The book was basically divided into two parts. Part one: senseless. Part two: meaningless with some diluted action. Following Hooligans, the story continues with Eric's party. While getting ready, Sookie gets a call from Pam telling her to arrive at 9:00. Simple, right? No. Minutes later, Mustafa (Eric's daytime man) calls back telling Sookie to arrive at 10:00. Notice how Mustafa doesn't say "Pam told me to tell you.." No. He just tells her to come at 10:00. Okay, if Sookie had a good education, this book may have turned out differently. Overlooking the fact that Pam is more of a reliable source, Sookie decides to come at 10:00. Sookie doesn't even call her to make sure Mustafa was correct! Idiot! How can she not suspect anything!

The following events of that night are of Sookie's assumptions. The police appear when a dead body is discovered and, though I thought Harris couldn't make it even worse, but managed to prove me wrong, the gang receives probably the most annoying detective ever.

"Yes."
"Really?"
"No."

They spend the night in the Police station and finally get released. The book then continues to soar into a death spiral and doesn't make an attempt to fly. With the pointless story of Tara, and Sookie's boring workdays at Merlottes, the book finally manages to surprise me. The Queen of Oaklahoma herself comes in for a visit. With Bubba coming in advance to warn Sookie, the Queen, Freda, comes to have a talk. This talk was foreshadowing the future, basically, of book thirteen. Informing Sookie of her and Eric's predicament.

The talk just made me angry. I've been waiting for nine books for Eric and Sookie to be together. Eric's being consort to the Queen problem is just Harris's way for getting rid of our precious Viking. (view spoiler)

Eric, out of anger and betrayal, will most likely accept Freda's offer. Eric will leave Sookie, therefore, breaking their marriage and severing their love. Sookie, most likely, with grow with the idea of loving Sam, and have a child. (Hense why Sookie was paying attention to babies. She knew since Eric was dead, she couldn't have one. But, Sam is, well, alive.) Sookie and Bill will probably remain friends, her and Pam too. Everything will be alright in Sookie-land. And I, will burn my book to ash.

What I hope to happen does also seem to be a possibility:

When Sookie explains to Sam about the Cluviel Dor, and it's magic generated on love, she will pass it off as love as a friendship. Sam will try to pursue Sookie, but for her love of Eric, or whats left of it, she will decline. Sookie and Eric will talk, Sookie says its up to Eric's final decision. Eric picks Sookie and breaks the contract somehow. ( Sookie staking the Queen? Hmmm...?)

I'm hopeful for option two just because I've always been a fan of the Viking and can not imagine him with anyone else. Sookie and Eric's chemistry has always been there. When you look at previous lovers, they were brief, example: Quinn. Eric has always been there, Sam as well. But if Sookie really wanted Sam, she could of had him in the first two chapters, for christ's sake! Please, Mrs. Harris, if you see this, don't make Eric go from main character to minor. He is what kept my interest for the series. Without him, it would feel.. Wrong? Yes, Eric has been out of character for awhile now, but he's still the star. Why else would you incorporate Eric if you planned to end with Sam? To me, it doesn't make sense.

But, with the big hole that you dug, I can't see any other option, sadly. As they say, you made your bed, you sleep in it. I will be reading this to the end, I hate giving up projects. Especially ones that have consumed my interest for years. Eric, until the very last page, I will be rooting for you. No matter how difficult it may be. I agree with you man. I would want to get away from Sookie too. The betrayal with the Cluviel Dor was hard, I screamed when I read it. My heart broke, not for Sam, but for Eric. This series is a fine example of being 'milked'. This should have ended awhile ago, but since she loves money, our Eric will continue to fade to Sookie.
Why drag on their relationship if they don't end up together? Why make us fall in love with a character when now that character is leaving? Why not ease into the idea of Sam instead of taking the damn plunge? If Eric and Sookie's love was true, why is Harris abandoning it? Yes, Sookie ending up with Sam is logical, but, as Sookie said before, how would she fill the gaping hole of his absence? With Sam, I really don't think so.. She lives in a vampire world, she would always be aware of Eric. Especially if he was the Queen's consort.

I will be watching the show, though. I prefer the direction of the show more than of the books. Lafayette is still alive and he died in the first book! Eric will succeed to win Sookie's heart, I'm sure. That's why we watch the show.
For our yummy dose of Northman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teresa Mary Rose I agree with everything you said! This series should have ended a long time ago. The fact that I spent $15 for the eBooks sickens me, because it thoroughly let me down.

Natalie S. Agreed. I am way more invested in the TV show now. The characters are all more developed and the plot direction is much more interesting.

Also as an additional book gripe it's painfully obvious when Harris sticks her own shortcomings onto Sookie.. Ex. Sookie has no idea what a flash drive is and seems technologically incompetent about computers. The girl is only 28! Not in her 60's like the author. She shouldn't be so confused by modern technology. This book also made me aware of just how much Harris writes Sookie as herself - cook, mail, cook, library, repeat. Sookie acts like a retired grandmother and not a woman in the prime of her life.

Teresa Mary Rose Natalie wrote: "Agreed. I am way more invested in the TV show now. The characters are all more developed and the plot direction is much more interesting.

Also as an additional book gripe it's painfully obvious w..."

Exactly! I have really come to hate Sookie in a lot of ways.

Queenie I loved the precious books but the last two is just so slow. I couldn't take it anymore & just read the spoiler. I am a huge fan of Eric...well the old Eric in her precious books, and I'm sad to hear that she will end up with Sam. I don't have the interest to finish Deadlocked anymore! I thought her last one was disappointing but this one is even more so.

message 5: by Tearogue (new)

Tearogue I agree with everything you said! This should have ended at book 10!

message 6: by R. (new) - rated it 1 star

R. I agree with you, but as for the possibilities in book 13 I can't help thinking about Sookis's will,maybe CH is killing her off? why else would she not tell us what was in it.I don't know, I'd rather she makes her die doig something epic, then have half a book of her happy ever after with (sneer) Sam.

message 7: by Hope (new) - rated it 1 star

Hope R. wrote: "I agree with you, but as for the possibilities in book 13 I can't help thinking about Sookis's will,maybe CH is killing her off? why else would she not tell us what was in it.I don't know, I'd rath..."

Wow. I never thought about that. I just thought the will was typical. It made no sense and it was useless like almost the entire book. I guess that put my guard down. Yes, if it was in one of the earlier books, I would have noticed it. I hope she dies. (Sounds very cruel of me, but hey, she deserves it!)
For me to cope with this monstrosity, I have been telling yep myself that Eric is too good for Sookie. Ha.