Erin's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Jun 21, 09

bookshelves: library-borrows, fantasy, young-adult
Read in June, 2009

I went in to this read a little apprehensive. It looked good initially, but then I perused a few reviews and the talk of romance really threw me off. Urg...teen romance. Can there be anything worse in a book? But on further recommendation I picked it up from the library, and definitely was not disappointed by the decision.

Graceling has a little bit of everything in it: action, adventure, fantasy, and romance. And it's an excellent balance between them all. There is world building, but not pages and pages of mind numbing description. There is some romance, but nothing horribly gushy and it doesn't get in the way of the plot (actually, I rather liked this one as the girl is so completely oblivious that there really is absolutely none of that annoying pining that teen heroines always seem to get stuck on). The only negative, as someone else pointed out, was the dialogue in some spots. It was a little bit cheesy here and there and some characters were a little too precocious to be believable, but in general it didn't get in the way of the plot so it was bearable.

All in all, this was an excellent book. Extremely addictive and a fast read...which combination makes me want to pick it up again immediately because I really didn't want this one to end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.