Pricky's Reviews > Immortal City

Immortal City by Scott Speer

May 17, 12

bookshelves: unfinished, tried-and-died, ya, reviewed, read-in-2012, painful, mystery, library-owned, angels
Read from April 29 to May 17, 2012

...so I confess. I didn't even get half-way. Not even 40%. Yep, I stopped at 34%. Even did the math.

First, it's a little hard for me to take an author seriously who is shirtless on the beach for his "goodreads" photo, but I digress...
Scott Speer

After being bombarded page after page with a glamorized angel celebrity guide consisting of too many "Hollywood" spin-offs (Angel News Network or ANN, Angels Weekly, Angel Television or A!) and too many references to Designer Brands, I felt like I needed my own personal bodyguard just to make it to the next chapter.

While the concept of the story seemed interesting at first, the writing appeared amateurish and the dialogue filled with cliched teen talk: "OMG, Perf!, totally". It was too over the top for me to take the writing seriously. Plus, how can I take something serious when every reference was a spin-off of some "Hollywood" term (see above paragraph). Not only that but Maddy and Jackson were annoying and unlikable. In one scene, Jackson returns to apologize to Maddy and instead of hearing him out, she makes accusations which end with Jackson responding "...you're impossible!" (...as if they've known each other longer than 24 hours).

Sadly, one of the most disappointing author debuts...and I was so looking forward to an Angel story. But I have to say... I do love that cover!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal City.