Heather's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Apr 30, 12

Recommended to Heather by: friend
Recommended for: Parents!
Read from April 23 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

A clear and humorous literary approach to one woman's parenting experiences while living in France. Pamela Druckerman does a fantastic job articulating precise differences between French and American styles of parenting. Her insights are presented in a logical manner, and mostly supported with research and facts.
I believe that any parent could easily read this book and walk away with a few nuggets of wisdom to try on their own bebe!

Personally, I found the concept of "the pause" (where you wait for a moment or two before responding to a baby's crying) validating, and appreciated the explanation of "why" this works. Despite raising three children, somehow I never knew the length of a baby's sleep cycle before. It makes so much sense!

I gave my 10 year old daughter the recipe for Yogurt Cake, and told her French toddlers make this all by themselves, so she gave it a whirl. (It was delicious!) I really like the idea of teaching children patience and responsibility through weekend baking projects and will try and incorporate this technique more often.

Also, the practice of unlimited American snacking struck a chord in this house. I shared with my children the concept of only eating @ 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8 pm (without snacks in between) as well as the types of food eaten....a grain and protein (often fish) for lunch, cheese plate every day, dessert as a fruit compote, starters of veggies. It sounds ideal to me, but also a little harder to put into practice with an American suburban "driving" culture where I don't usually have enough time to provide this type of lunch for my children, and the school certainly doesn't.

At any rate, anyone interested in parenting would enjoy this book! I will likely suggest to families I know who still have young children!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.