Christine's Reviews > This Is Not The Story You Think It Is...: A Season of Unlikely Happiness

This Is Not The Story You Think It Is... by Laura Munson

F 50x66
Apr 29, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I saw this book on a number of blogs and the article Munson wrote in the New York Times. The premise of the book is that her husband told her one day that he no longer loved her and he was going to leave the family. She responded by asking him to try anything other than separation to cure his mental and emotional ills. She also took care to feed her own spirit during the difficult time. The book follows the journey of the couple and Munson's internal path for a few months.

I enjoyed her authentic and realistic view of a difficult time in her marriage. Munson is very open about her own thoughts and various resources and strategies she employed. I liked the Zen aspect of her mind and the philosophy she followed. The book, however, was a little slower and tedious than I anticipated. (It's a little like listening to a friend during a hard time - there are parts where you think - I don't really want to hear this.) There was also a little more internal hand-wringing by Munson over being a published author (this was her first published book) than I was truly interested in hearing. Overall though, I liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not The Story You Think It Is....