Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Dog Food (New York Times Best Illustrated Books

Dog Food (New York Times Best Illustrated Books by Saxton Freymann

May 07, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: dogs lovers, fruit & vegetable lovers, those who appreciate creative illustrations
Read on May 07, 2012

I’ve always liked (but not usually loved) these “play with your food” type books, creating pictures by using various foods, particularly when fruits and vegetables are the foods being sculpted.

This one, all dogs, is adorable. It’s appropriate from ages birth on. Each page has one or a few sculptures and a very short description, such as “good dog” and “top dog” and “sick as a dog” and “dog eat dog” among others, and the illustrations fit those captions.

I love many of the doggy depictions. The poodle made from broccoli is really great, as is a bone made from cauliflower, and so are “puppy love” and “lucky dog” and “pup tent” but really all are great. There are a couple aggressive scenes but most pages are on the sweet side.

Because I love dogs so much, this is probably my favorite of this series of food art books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dog Food (New York Times Best Illustrated Books.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I love the "food art" books, too. This one looks really darling. I will watch for it :-)

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I love the "food art" books, too. This one looks really darling. I will watch for it :-)"

Oh, yes, if you love the food art books, I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Kelly  Maybedog I love this one, probably because it's all dogs. But then I love most of his books.

Lisa Vegan I want to like them all, but some I don't, but I did this one.

Kelly  Maybedog I'm sure they can begin to look the same after awhile and some attempts are better than others.

Lisa Vegan Kelly wrote: "I'm sure they can begin to look the same after awhile and some attempts are better than others."

Yes, exactly. This one is different enough from the rest. And in a great way.