Christopher Hivner's Reviews > The House of Thunder

The House of Thunder by Dean Koontz

May 01, 12

Susan Thornton wakes up in a hospital, at first not even remembering her name, much less how she got there. Slowly some of her memory comes back, but not everything. She has no recollection of the car accident that put her in the hospital and can't place any of the names of her co-workers from her job. With the help of a handsome, caring doctor and a plucky nurse Susan begins to feel better. Then she starts seeing men from her past at the hospital. Men that killed her boyfriend in college right in front of her. She starts to wonder if she's losing her mind because several of these men she knows to be dead, but she sees them just the same. The tension is heightened when these men that shouldn't be there threaten to kill Susan. She begins to see a conspiracy among the doctors and nurses at the hospital and eventually escapes leading her to discover the strange truth of what happened to her.

This was a bad book. Its not particularly well-written, the dialog being the worst offense. No one in House of Thunder speaks the way real people do. There is also a lot of repetition. Koontz keeps saying the same thing over and over in a different way. The character development is non-existent. Again, we learn a lot of facts about people, but not really who they are. It was boring at the beginning taking too long to spark my interest. I started to skim pages and the only reason I kept reading was because of the one strong point of the book. I wanted to know what was happening to Susan Thorton. Koontz had me wanting to know what was going on and I couldn't figure it out. You won't figure it out either because it's the stupidest ending to a book you'll ever read. As I saw the words on the page I said out loud, "you have to be kidding me".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Thunder.