Aija's Reviews > We Bought a Zoo

We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee

Apr 29, 2012

liked it
Read from April 29 to May 03, 2012

I found about this book after accidentally seeing a movie. The movie was banal. After reading the book I realized that the movie was even more banal and it was just a typical Hollywood template with applied "they bought a zoo" which is the only common thing with actual events.
The book is more documentary, don't expect to find there drama and insight in persons' inner selfs.
Some parts was very interesting and I get to know many things about daily life of a zoo (it's not about keeping animals in cages so that others can come and look at them), but some were boring and reminded me of all those blog entries on the Internet about who took the bath and ate the sandwich. But, probably these were themes that didn't interest me - second part of the book was bit chaotic and hard to follow the time line.
There is also quite a lot about his wife's cancer and how they didn't cure it. This might not fit in the book about the zoo, but it was interesting (but sad) too.

In the end, the one things kept me wondering — is this zoo popular because it is good or because series about it was shown in BBC2, this book was released and now this Hollywood movie.. I have to visit it and check it out by myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Bought a Zoo.