Jessica's Reviews > Batman: The Man Who Laughs

Batman by Ed Brubaker

Sep 05, 2008

Read in September, 2008

I got this book in November 2006. I was doing some research for a story I was writing and I wanted this one so badly. There had been so many retellings of Joker's first encounters with the Batman and I guess the big cheeses at DC decided to update it (from the then popular Legends of the Dark Knight 50 with a stunning Brian Bolland cover). It was the best $$I ever spent. Though Doug Mankhe's art makes me question whether or not he is an Iron Maiden fan I found this book to be a real gem. It had that dark noir taste which was a perfect fit for Gotham, a festering wart indeed and Batman providing some sort of ailment. Though even the Dark Knight could not avert the new class of criminal that had invaded the sickly body of Gotham like an HIV agent. This ain't your Jack Nicholson Joker. He does not mess around. His eerie tell tale signs and macarbre presents for Batman and Co. in the form of murder, mayhem and chaos only made this book a treat from beginning to end. There were some elements of Year One and One Year Later. I liked how Mr J picks his victims one by own, thus leaving his mark on the slow cops and saying 'neener neener neener' to Batman. But of course, like any good writer, Mr. Brubaker concocts a witche's brew that only a seasoned writer could tell like when Bruce retraces steps in order to track down Joker's identity. Well, those are the last bit of spoilers I am going to give you. It is so good that even talking about it excites me! A must own!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.