Makeba Nugent's Reviews > Giraffes Can't Dance

Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae

U_50x66
Apr 29, 12

This is a brilliantly written book, which could also be regarded as a rhyming poem. As the book is written in rhyme throughout. Which I love!

The reader is introduced to Gerald "a tall giraffe, whose neck was long and slim, But his knees were awfully bandy And his legs were rather thin". Which meant that every year when the Jungle Dance "arrived, Poor Gerald felt so sad, Because when it came to dancing He was really very bad". Gerald wanted to participate in the jungle dance, just like the other animals, but when the other animals saw Gerald "...[walk]...towards the floor,....the animals all laughed, "Giraffes can't dance, you silly fool, Oh Gerald, don't be daft!". In which Gerald felt "so sad and so alone!" But, he met a cricket, who gave him inspiration and encougragement and explained to Gerald that "sometimes when you're different you just need a different song". In which Gerald found inspiration from "the swaying grass... the trees...[and the]...branches in the breeze." Gerald "threw his arms out sideways and he swung them everywhere" the other animals exclaimed in amazement that "Gerald's the best dancer That we've ever ever seen!"

Gerald's story of not being able to dance is very moving and deals with the issue of bullying very subtly. In that the way the other animals make him feel about not being able to dance by laughing at him, can easliy be compared to many incidents within the primary and secondary classroom. This story could be used during a PHSE lesson, if tackling bullying, to enable children to understand that being different should be celebrated. Also, those children who participate in the bullying could understand how the victim of bullying could be feeling. Through the story, children could also learn that everyone has something to offer and in Gerald's case that in fact, he was a brilliant dancer.

I adore this book. I read it with my daughter frequently and she enjoys it very much. I think that this book could be enjoyed by adults and children and I feel is suitable from EYFS through to KS2.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giraffes Can't Dance.