Diane Will's Reviews > Dancing in a Distant Place

Dancing in a Distant Place by Isla Dewar

May 12, 12

bookshelves: scottish-writers, bookcrossing, scottish-based
Read from April 29 to May 12, 2012

I needed some easy reading after giving up on my last book. This one had been on my shelf for a while. I like Isla Dewar, probably something to do with her being a Scottish writer.

Iris is a teacher. Happily married, two teenage children and a husband she thinks she knows. Here husband dies in a car accident and they have to come to terms with their loss. That seems bad enough until she discovers they have no money, no home....he had gambled everything away. She has to make the decision of moving and taking the children with her, she take on the position of 'Missie' at a country school in a remote glen. She pupils become her life, and takes on her pupils problems, one by one....a stammerer, a wee boy who refuses to talk and the usual hum drum of the classroom. Rumours around the village start when she administers changes to they usual way of teaching, but the local community slowly accept her. Iris is so taken up with her new ways that she doesn't notice her own children sliding of the straight and narrow.

I loved all the characters and I laughed on occasions.....Colin and his knitted swimming trunks..lol. A simple, cosy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing in a Distant Place.

05/01/2012 page 45